Rotting Steel

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Rotting Steel

Postby BTW » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:02 am

One of the worst things a person can do to a trailer/truck bed is not to clean it out. And to compound the problem is when someone uses a trailer/truck bed as a dumpster. There is so much moisture that gets held in when brush, dirt, etc is stored in the bed. The sun don't have a chance to dry it out and it rots away pretty quickly..

Does not matter if you have a wood or steel floor/sides. I tell my customers to use used crank case oil and paint the floor and corners with it. You have a better chance to prolong the life of the floor and corner of the sides..

Here are some pics of a trailer that came in for repairs a weeks back. I put a new wood floor in it towards the first part of this year. I told my customer to coat the floor with oil but he never did.

The frame is almost rusted away and the spring hanger did rust/rotted off so I scabbed angle steel under the frame, and welded the new spring hangers to it.

The trailer is back in service but, I told my customer he best start looking for a replacement because his has a "time stamp" on it..

And yes he does use his for a rolling dumpster for brush and clippings and that caused the rot out..

I took a dish soap bottle, filled it up with used oil and squirted the oil along the bottom corners and sides of the floor.

rotted steel.jpg
rotted steel.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

Rotted steel 1.jpg
Rotted steel 1.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

rotted steel 2.jpg
rotted steel 2.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
BTW

Return to The Garage - Redneck Engineering